Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Put a ring on it...




A funny thing happened to me the other day.

I was driving along when Helen Ready's classic hit I Am Woman began playing on the radio.

You know the one - I am woman hear me roar. If you don't know the song, you've no doubt heard that line before... most likely in the form of a joke.

In fact, once I'd have probably been one of the main perpetrators of such a joke. In high-school I'd often laugh at the girls who insisted on shifting desks (they were just as capable as the boys) and refusing to let their dates pay for movie tickets.

Songs such as I Am Woman seemed equally as hilarious.

I knew I was in control - I didn't need to prove a point by refusing acts of chivalry.

But while I'll still happily leave the heavy lifting to the men, upon recent listening this particular song didn't seem quite so amusing.

In fact, I found myself relating to particular elements of the song...

"Yes I am wise but it's wisdom born of pain/yes I paid the price but look how much I've gained/If I had to I can do anything
I am strong, I am invincible, I am woman."


Ok, so that last line is still borderline funny, but I did find myself thinking of my son and the battle I went through to have him, following conception problems and subsequent IVF.

And at that moment, I did feel invincible - I am Woman dammit!

Granted, I would have looked more ridiculous than powerful as I belted out the feminist rant, but hey, that's the power of music.

My re-discovery of the female anthem got me thinking about other similarly labelled tunes.

There's been a few over the years, all sending a different message, but not always in the best interest of the sistahood, depending on who you're talking to.

Aretha Frankli's Resepct and Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive, are classics from a time when women were standing up and taking control.

Christina's Can't Hold Us Down and Destiny's Child's Independent Woman were part of a more recent trend of songs focused on reclaiming sexuality and financial independence.

But Beyonce's hit Single Ladies (put a ring on it) has been the latest track to be dubbed a female anthem - but opinions on it's worth are apparently split.



This song is different to the norm in that combines power and sexuality with a desire for commitment. This C-word apparently a naughty no-no for some feminists.

One such is Amanda Hees, author of The Sexist Blog.

She says:

"Beyonce referring to herself as “it”, equating herself to bling? Handing herself over to a man who will determine her self-worth through a demeaning, years-long game which can only end with Beyonce emerging triumphant as his symbolic property, or crawling away as a meaningless ex?"


That's one way of looking at it, feminist and novelist Edan Lepucki has a different view.

"Perhaps it’s anti-feminist for sex to lead to marriage, or to desire that. But why? Why is it unacceptable for a woman to require commitment from the man she’s sleeping with?"


So what makes a female anthem?

A call for respect? Equality? Power? Sexual satisfaction? Commitment? Love?

In reality, most women want a little bit of everything... which is why I think Beyonce nailed it with Single Ladies (put a ring on it).

9 comments:

  1. So pleased that you included Gloria Gaynors I will survive. With Beyonce song when I was able to focus on the lyrics and not the amazing clip - I liked what I heard, a woman being very clear about expressing her needs and wants! Sounds like a female anthem to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of the above!

    On the other end of the spectrum... How about that ridiculous song 'Sexy Bitch' (or 'Sexy Chick' for commercial radio and Video Hits). Wrong on soooo many levels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hold Us Down is one of my all-time favourite songs. Double standards annoy the hell out of me and this song deals with them in such a catchy and empowering way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it's anti-feminist to want commitment in a monogamous relationship. But the phrase "put a ring on it" does imply a sense of wanting to be owned that is at odds with feminism. After all, there's quite a lot of contract law that is based on cases about who keeps the ring after a broken engagement - the ring was often viewed as financial consideration for the contract of marriage.

    Says the married mother of three who often forgets to wear the ring. If you've got commitment, the ring is just bling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came by to welcome you to SITS! It's great to have you in the SITStahood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I think the Beyonce song is a good anthem. She spent three years with him, he wouldn't commit, they broke up. Don't be getting upset when you see me in the club with a Hottie McNaughty on my hip! If you wanted me, you should have said so!

    I came by to welcome you to SITS! We're happy to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bitch by Meredith Brooks was my anthem for awhile..hmmm might still be :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It makes me chuckle to think that some people think wanting a committment is anti-feminist. Frankly I didn't even know that was a school of thought.

    p.s. Welcome to the SITS community - we're very glad you joined us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why isn't having a ring on a symbol of the person you own, rather than the person who owns you?

    Or, God forbid, a symbol of connection and love that is meaningful to you and your partner and who gives a rat's what anyone else thinks?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...please leave a comment

About Me

My photo
Nicole is an Australian journalist, presenter and communications consultant. She spent several years as a News Limited journalist, writing for a variety of local newspapers and magazines. Following this, Nicole was a reporter and presenter with the Nine Network, filing stories for Brisbane magazine program Extra, lifestyle show Weekend Extra and National Nine News. She is now a freelance journalist, writing for a variety of publications. Her special interests are features, lifestyle, current affairs, women, parenting/family and health. Nicole is also a public relations and communications consultant. www.nicolemadigan.webs.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails