Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The most magical time of the year...




Each year when November rolls around and shopping centres begin adorning the ceilings with Christmas decorations, I often hear people complain.

"The decorations are up too early," they say.

"I don't even want to think about Christmas," say others.

"Not another Christmas Carol!" also a commonly heard gripe.

Yet when I see the glitter of that first piece of tinsel - I feel a surge of excitement.

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas comes to mind and my mood instantly lifts.

I look forward to hearing the repetitive sounds of Little Drummer Boy and White Christmas.

And, come December (if I can wait that long) as I decorate the Christmas tree, I play my own Christmas Carols.

This year I even downloaded some to my iPhone.

I truly am a Christmas tragic and it's been that way since I was a little girl.

Christmas was always a big deal for my family. My brothers and I would wake at the break of dawn, ensuring my parents did the same, so we could open the pile of presents placed under the tree.



Of course this came after we emptied our stockings filled with gifts from Santa.

A tradition we couldn't bring ourselves to let go of until we moved out of home.

I continued to love Christmas all through my teens and beyond, almost skipping through the crowded malls as I chose presents for my friends and family.

Not much has changed.

I still enjoy watching corny Christmas movies and even admit to wearing Christmas earrings and/or colours on the big day.

There's something about Christmas that just fills me with happiness.

It's about family and togetherness and celebration.

And everyone - despite their complaints about busy malls and last minute shopping - seems that little bit more joyful, with a ready smile and a Merry Christmas wish.

In 2009, for me, Christmas is particularly special.

After a spate of family health scares in the past few years, I feel blessed to have my entire family happy and healthy for Christmas.

And this year I have already been given an amazing gift - my baby son, who will be experiencing the magic of Christmas for the first time.

He has his Santa's hat, his Christmas stocking and a pile of presents he won't yet understand he's receiving.

And with Christmas just two days away, I wish everyone a safe and merry Christmas filled with the love and companionship of family and friends.

Because, in my opinion, Christmas really is the most magical day of the year.

6 comments:

  1. awwww. this just put a huge smile on my face. nice to meet another christmas tragic =) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with over doing Christmas. It's a wondeful time of the year. I haven't downloaded any backgrounds. But I am a Christmas fanatic. My Wife and I got the Lego City Advent Calendar this year. I've got some of the pictures up on my blog. Feel free to stop by. Found ya on 20SB! - mattkendrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way. I darn near shove Thanksgiving out of the way so Christmas can begin! <3

    PS Found you through 20SB's "WeLoveComments" group and I heart this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely Christmas post about 'What people say'. Loved it because people seem to have A LOT to say around Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you! I love Christmas music! I start listening mid-October in the closet. But I bust it out full-scale in October! Your tree pic is beautiful...what type of camera do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! Christmas is SO magical and it always comes and goes too quickly!

    It has always been a HUGE deal for my family, and this year was VERY different. My husband and I just moved to Peru- and it was SO hard being away from our families! On top of that it is SUMMER in Peru, so it didn't really feel like the Christmas I am used to.

    But we enjoyed our first experience of Christmas in another country, and it was fabulous!

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...please leave a comment

About Me

My photo
Nicole is an Australian journalist, presenter and communications consultant. She spent several years as a News Limited journalist, writing for a variety of local newspapers and magazines. Following this, Nicole was a reporter and presenter with the Nine Network, filing stories for Brisbane magazine program Extra, lifestyle show Weekend Extra and National Nine News. She is now a freelance journalist, writing for a variety of publications. Her special interests are features, lifestyle, current affairs, women, parenting/family and health. Nicole is also a public relations and communications consultant. www.nicolemadigan.webs.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails