Monday, December 14, 2009

Skinny jeans and Shower Power - trespass magazine column




Twelve months ago, I was working full-time as a television reporter. I was into fashion, read books, loved music, discussed current affairs. I coloured my hair, wore a bikini, watched the news and looked forward to a good party.

I’ve since left my full-time gig in favour of freelance, to be home with my baby boy. Other than that, not much has changed… except maybe my comfort level in a bikini, and the frequency in which I attend said parties.

I have, of course, entered a new demographic. I’m now a mum, who happens to spend a lot more time at home. I still dress the same, think the same, crack the same jokes … yet when I flick on the telly I’m left wondering if I missed the part where new mums are required to enter a phone booth to be transformed into Mrs Brady.

Now I know most chick-flicks and TV dramas are full of yummy-mummies and ultra-cool mamas, but when it comes to commercials aimed at us real mums, it’s a different story. Clearly, mums are the target market for a lot of consumer goods, so there’s no shortage of ads, all aimed at the likes of me. Apparently.

Now I need Shower Power as much as the next mum, but when I watch these ads, it’s not me I see. I see a mumsy bunch, with matching pony tails, three quarter jeans and collared shirts.

Does giving birth and taking on a few home duties mean the end of skinny jeans, summer dresses and high heels?

But it’s not just the daggy dress code that leaves me cringing. I don't know about you other mums out there, but I don't use a magnifying glass to clean my toilet, and I don’t inwardly gloat when my friends use the bright white bowl.

I don’t use phrases like “not in my house” when I see finger prints on the stainless steel. And I do not feel smug about the mess my chicken stock meal has made (Tess and her REAL family I find particularly annoying!)

Don’t get me wrong, I wear trackies with the best of them. I cook, clean, compare nappy brands, even bake the odd batch of muffins - but I do it in my denim cutoffs listening to Groove Armada dammit.

And once it’s done I’m off to play with my son, or read a book, or call a friend, or go shopping. These ads would have you believe the sparkle of the shower floor is a daily highlight. And if a neighbour stops by and happens to witness the sparkle, well, even better!



Am I alone in my frustration, I wonder? Are my shiny bathroom taps really enough to make my friends green with envy? Do they watch these TV mums with an understanding nod, or find the stereotype as irritating as I do?

Do most mums spend their day worrying about that stain they saw on hubby’s shirt as he walked out the door? Or do they see the stain, deal with it and move onto more important things.

More likely, there’s no such thing as an average mum. At the end of the day, we’re all human.

Now - time to try that new stain remover.

(NB: This rant does not apply to nappy commercials to which I can easily relate and to which I have been know to shed the occasional tear)

12 comments:

  1. TV commercials are often misguiding. They definitely fail to portray the true image & picture of any situation they sell products for.

    Great post there.
    It's my first visit to your entertaining blog and am glad to be here.

    Keep up the wonderful work. Hope to see you around.

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute a blog! I hear ya! My toilet very rarely sparkles... certainly not daily. That thing called life gets in the way... I am truly an Undomestic Goddess! hehe*

    Thanks for Subbing to me and will be doing the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi i am from 20sb! :) :)! Such a cute blog! I am a 25 yr old mom of 16month old twin girls so trust me I totally understand :) I have my own personal shopper/ styling business n more! :) Sometimes I find balancing everything incredibly tough but like you say we r all human :)

    well am a new reader n follower :) hopefully you will check out my blog and become a follower too :) , I have a fab giveaway coming soon . I ll be back :)

    http://la-mode-at.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s I think motherhood n skinny jeans mix and is so POWERFUL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahahaha I hear you sister - I am newish mum to baby boy too and collared shirts are no.
    I cry to the Huggies ad but in general think tv advertising sucks and will not stand to be told who I am by some ad execs!!! pffft to it I say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a research scientist. And whilst I am required to wear a white lab coat (for OH&S reasons), I don't walk around with clipboards in hand all day, I don't look at stuff with microscopes or use magnifying glasses and real laboratories look nothing like those on television.

    As was explained on ABC1's Gruen Transfer programme, advertising is just fantasy. It's a dream. It's not meant to be real. And why would it? We have reality all around us. The advertisers want you to buy their stuff, and to do that they want you to imagine yourself being better-off with whatever they're trying to sell.

    I seldom see advertisments these days. I find much of the rubbishy programming on commercial television insulting to my intelligence. Along with the ad-block on my PC, I don't miss advertising a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha I feel your pain. I'm not a mom but I hate housework. I am very neat and clean though, but i just dread doing it. Life should be carefree and fun, and not spend worrying if your house is clean enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree. While I'm not a mother, I fully intend to continue dressing as I do now after I have kids. Just say no to mom jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree but will give them a bit of grace. How can the writers of said ads identify? Their showers are cleaned by someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a stepmom to 2 grown guys now. Have a 2 yr old Grandson who visits often. I can remember when I was single and my house was neat, clean and very well organized. I can remember . . .
    I often ask my mom, How did you do it? She was one of those in the ads, baking every day, constantly cleaning, etc. Also very unhappy.
    So I'll take my so-so clean, disorganized house. I'd rather go play w/my grandson.
    Happy New Year from a SITsa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. REALLY IT IS A CRIME TO BE A HIP MOM. YOU SHOULD TRY TO BE A STYLISH HOMESCHOOLING MOM, OH THE LOOKS I GET. THANKS FOR SHARING AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have just discovered your blog (loving it!) and I think you have summed up what TERRIFIES me about the prospect of being a mum - I NEVER want to join the crazy-lady brigade (that's what my man and I call those women on those ads who seem to DELIGHT in talking about their toilets). You're giving me hope that there are other mums out there who want to be 'normal' when they have kids. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...please leave a comment

About Me

My photo
Nicole is an Australian journalist, presenter and communications consultant. She spent several years as a News Limited journalist, writing for a variety of local newspapers and magazines. Following this, Nicole was a reporter and presenter with the Nine Network, filing stories for Brisbane magazine program Extra, lifestyle show Weekend Extra and National Nine News. She is now a freelance journalist, writing for a variety of publications. Her special interests are features, lifestyle, current affairs, women, parenting/family and health. Nicole is also a public relations and communications consultant. www.nicolemadigan.webs.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails