Thursday, December 3, 2009

There's something about Grandpas...


When I was a little girl, my Grandpa used to tell me he could punch down trees.

I believed him of course. And thought he was the toughest man in the world.

He could even punch out the monsters hiding in the forest, he said - definitely the toughest.

As I grew up I realised Grandpa used to tell me a few tall tails, mostly relating to his toughness.

But my opinion didn't change...I still thought he was the toughest man in the world.

I used to punch his tummy, you see. And it was as hard as a rock - he was the toughest.

There's something about Grandpas and every little girl looks up to theirs...

I got to thinking about mine, after the Green V Jones boxing match - my Grandpa used to be a boxing trainer. See, tough.

Grandpas have the best stories too. Mine has told me many over the years, most of them true, all of them interesting.

Many have a bunch of fascinating photos or a newspaper clipping to go with them. I could have listened for hours.

I still could.

He lives interstate, but my Grandpa's stories are something I look forward to before every visit.

I had another Grandpa too. He passed away when I was little. He was a war hero, distinguished and handsome.

Yes there's something about Grandpas - and it's not reserved for their little grand-daughters.

We grow up - but in our eyes, our Grandpa stays the same.

I still think mine is the toughest man in the world - and I'm sure he could punch down a tree... if he had to.

My Dad is a grandpa now too - to my son and my niece and nephew.

The boys are still babies - but already I see the way his three-year-old grand-daughter looks up at him, with admiration and love - because there's something about grandpas.

My Dad is turning out to be a pretty special one...and he should be - he learnt from the best.

3 comments:

  1. Love the blog. It really made me think. I love my Grandpa. I'm glad I still hve him around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... he sounds like a really cool grandpa.

    hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a well deserved right - and privalege, for grandpas to tell grandchildren little porkies! And isn't it interesting that despte these little ]untruths' that trust is not challenged.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...please leave a comment

About Me

My photo
Nicole is an Australian journalist, presenter and communications consultant. She spent several years as a News Limited journalist, writing for a variety of local newspapers and magazines. Following this, Nicole was a reporter and presenter with the Nine Network, filing stories for Brisbane magazine program Extra, lifestyle show Weekend Extra and National Nine News. She is now a freelance journalist, writing for a variety of publications. Her special interests are features, lifestyle, current affairs, women, parenting/family and health. Nicole is also a public relations and communications consultant. www.nicolemadigan.webs.com
Related Posts with Thumbnails